Now that we are well into summer with July 4 behind us, we are in peak summer cocktail season.
Summer is one of the most fun times to experiment with wild seasonal cocktails or try out some classic drinks for a summer party or barbecue.
While frose, or frozen rose wine, was the hot drink of summer 2017. Summer 2018 is looking to mix hings up and try something new.
Hottest drinks for summer 2018
Refinery 29 interviewed bartenders from around the country to ask them their thoughts on the hottest drinks for summer 2018 and here’s what they said (in no particular order):
- The spritz – a light cocktail with a wine base
- Clarified milk punch – a challenging punch to create
- Frozen cocktails – not the froze but other fun varieties
- Coconut water – based drinks, delicious with rum
- Paloma – think tequila and grapefruit juice
- Vermouth cocktails
- Tiki Drinks
- Drinks with popsicles served in them
- Fraperol – frozen Aperol drinks
- Sgroppino – a frozen blend of lemon sorbetto, prosecco, and limoncello
Most popular classic cocktails
If you prefer to keep things simple and stick with more classic cocktails rather than trying to keep up with the latest trends, consider one of the top 10 cocktails from across the globe, according to Drinks International (these are ranked from 1 to 50 with No. 1 being the most popular; See the Drinks International article for more info and drinks No. 11 -50).
- Old Fashioned – a whiskey drink with bitters and rye
- Negroni – 1/3 each Campari, sweet vermouth, and gin
- Whiskey Sour – bourbon, lemon, and sugar (sometimes with egg white)
- Dry Martini – gin, French vermouth, bitters, olives
- Daquiri – a rum drink served shaken or blended
- Margarita – traditionally made with tequila, lime juice, and agave syrup
- Manhattan – a combo of rye, bitters, and sweet vermouth
- Moscow Mule – vodka, lime, ginger, and soda (or ginger beer)
- Espresso Martini – espresso, vodka, and coffee liqueur
- Mojito – a Cuban classic with rum, mint, and sugar
Cheers to summer 2018!